Viridis Graduate InstituteEcopsychology and Environmental Humanities
Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning acts of initiative there is one elemental truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitively commits oneself then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in ones favor all manner of unforseen incidents and meetings and material assistance which no person could have dreamt would come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now. – Goethe
2017 Executive Certificate Course
EXEC 711 Ecopsychology Fundamentals
Ecopsychology Fundamentals course is designed for those considering Viridis Graduate Institute’s master or doctoral degrees in Ecopsychology and Environmental Humanities. It is also an excellent comprehensive course for those who wish to gain a thorough understanding of ecopsychology and its personal and vocational applications.
Participants will study five core principles of ecopsychology (energy, diversity, waste, change, connectivity) to mine ideas from ecology, biology, mythology and archetypal psychology to explore and transform unconscious narratives that underlie our actions, civic illiteracy, and the policies and decisions that affect our world in both creative and destructive ways.
*Prerequisite – For students who plan to enter the Doctoral program and who have not matriculated from VGI’s Master’s program, Ecopsychology Fundamentals is required in order to obtain the necessary ecopsychology coursework and credits.
- To train participants in foundational ecopsychological principles and archetypal perspectives that can bring a more conscious and perceptive psychological dimension to their daily lives and their role as world citizens.
- To train participants to apply ecopsychological ideas and practices across diverse vocations for personal and professional growth.
- To engage the imagination, develop an aesthetic sensibility, and promote the flourishing of life.
An ecopsychological understanding widens perspectives and enhances the capacity for making informed and mature decisions essential to our daily life, our businesses, organizations, and communities in ways that ensure more relational and flourishing behaviors and practices emerge.
Students who are becoming community leaders are compelled to make a difference by deepening their awareness of themselves in relation to the world around them. In doing so, they adopt new ways of seeing, thinking and interacting that result in innovative, sustainable solutions.
Program Length: 14 weeks.
Spring Dates: March 8 – June 7, 2017
Fall Dates: September 13 – December 13, 2017
Class Time: Wednesdays, 6-8pm (Pacific Time).
There are 2-3 recorded lectures per week (20-30 mins each), and one to two hours of reading per week.
Credit Hours / Competency Units: 9 Credits / CUs[1 CU = 1 Credit Hour (Carnegie Criteria)]
Venue: Participants meet weekly ONLINE in a live dynamic classroom environment for two hours per class.
Application process is open. You may apply for either the fall or spring course at any time.
Executive Certificate Course Fee – $3,000
Notice to Prospective Degree Program Students
This institution is provisionally approved by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education to offer degree programs. To continue to offer this degree program, this institution must meet the following requirements:
- Become institutionally accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education, with the scope of the accreditation covering at least one degree program.
- Achieve accreditation candidacy or pre-accreditation, as defined in regulations, by (date two years from date of provisional approval), and full accreditation by (date five years from date of provisional approval), and full accreditation by (date five years from date of provisional approval)
If this institution stops pursuing accreditation, the following will happen:
- The institution must stop all enrollment in its degree programs, and
- Provide a teach-out to finish the educational program or provide a refund.
An institution that fails to comply with accreditation requirements by the required dates shall have its approval to offer degree programs automatically suspended.
Creating a more conscious world through education and action
VGI Fast Facts
All programs are online in live interactive format
- Length of program: 2 years with Summer Fieldwork
- ReWilding Experience – students meet with instructors in natural habitat
- Application deadline: June 15.
- Length of program: 3 years
- ReWilding Experience
- Application deadline: June 15.
Executive Certificate Program: Ecopsychology Fundamentals
- Next course March 8, 2017
- Length of program: 14 weeks
- Prerequisite for Doctoral Program
Introduction to Ecopsychology
- June 6, 2017 (6-8pm PST)
- Length of course: 2 hour Webinar
- Open Enrollment.